foster care

New Placements – Double Trouble

After doing respite for our adorable eight year old boy, I was ready to accept kiddos into our house. Jose brought joy and laughter to our small house. The day before my birthday I woke really early to find an email about a set of brothers who were up all night and needed a place to sleep while they located a more permanent household.

Lies! Every single person who tells you they just need a bed for the night is lying. These are people who have just ripped children from their parents and they are desperate to get them into a safe stable house and they lie! It’s well meaning but a lie none the less.

The younger brother, Matt, had a mild condition and the older brother Mikey, had no known issues. They would likely be going to the grandparents or the prior foster family as this was the second time they were removed from their mom.

Joe agreed and I said yes. The social worker said they’d probably sleep all day and I arranged to work from home.

They arrived in my driveway caked with dirt. I helped carry two vinyl bags and a suitcase inside and showed the boys the bedroom. They could call Ms. Kate. I had snacks ready and the boys dove in. The driver left and I was alone with an eight year old and a ten year old.


When children are removed from their house, they have to be seen by a doctor within seventy two hours. People are calling you constantly. You have to get them to school. You have to find them clothing. You have to convince them to shower. I failed at all of this.

I sent them upstairs to sleep. I laugh just thinking about it. Each step they took shook the whole house. They jumped up and down the stairs taking the steps two or three at a time. They knocked the pictures off the walls. They jumped on and off the dressers. They jumped from the top bunk onto the floor. They told me about xbox and drank every bit of apple juice in the fridge. I called Joe at work frantically asking if he could come home. NOW.

Phone calls kept coming in with more information. Matt needed medication. Matt had behavioral issues. Grandparents can’t handle the boys. The prior foster mom was away but could not handle Matt’s issues. When was I taking them to the doctor? When was I taking them to school? Would I change school? The boys needed shoes.

I called our foster family friend Cathy. She came with her teenage foster boy Doug to talk with the boys about behaving. Doug told them to listen to me. Yeah right!

Joe came home and we all went out to get the boys shoes, clothes and more food for the house. Matt and Mikey fell asleep in the back seat of the car and we thought they were just exhausted. Joe tried to wake Matt and the kid went ballistic. He started kicking, hitting and cursing. It took a good half an hour to calm him down. While in the store, the boys wanted everything in sight. When we got home, we discovered a toy we had not purchased.

I was awake all night, partially because they were jumping off the beds and partially because I knew we were in serious trouble. Everyone was asking us to make plans to keep these boys and we could not handle them.

The next day, my birthday, I went to go wake up Matt for school. He refused to wake and then had a violent fit, hitting, kicking, spitting and cursing. It was the worst of the worst. I got them cereal, milk and by the time I got them in the car, the kitchen looked like a war zone.

At school, I heard more of the boys’ issues. Matt’s condition was quite serious, closer to autism, ADHD and ODD, then the minor condition I was led to believe. The boys were given food to take home on the weekends which was often taken away by Mom. The school did everything they could to convince me to keep them, even as I cried hysterically in the principle’s office.

The next stop was to the social workers’ office who was in charge of placements. Twenty four hours after taking the brothers, I admitted to her we couldn’t handle them, especially as our first placements. We were all just figuring out how badly Matt needed help, we being the system itself. The system was the caseworkers, the school and us. They would move Matt into a group home where he could receive extra care and keep Mikey with us.

I got them clothes, picked them up from school and got home to find a birthday cake. Mikey looked at Matt and said, “You ruined Ms. Kate’s birthday.”

The boys were at our house for five days. We got Matt on medication and then Mikey started acting up. He was scared and hurt and wanted to be back home with his Mom. He had to take care of his little brother and never got to just be himself. When transportation came to pick them up, I cried. When the boys weren’t there, I stomped my feet into the ground and screamed. I loved the boys, even for five days, even though they ruined my birthday, hit me, kicked me, screamed at me, and stole. We couldn’t change their lives and they needed better caretakers then us.

Your heart may be open to taking anyone, but that doesn’t make you capable. I hope their five days with us did more good than harm. It was truly a life lesson not to take on more than you can handle.

In those five days, with the help of many around me, and because of two wild loving boys, I found my Mom voice.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s